Great Britain and Canada to Contest the U.S. for Top Honors
The Plains, Va. – June 30, 2017 – Teams from Great Britain, Canada and many of the United States’ most decorated event riders will compete in the FEI Nations Cup™ at the Great Meadow International presented by Adequan® on July 7-9. The
Great Meadow International (GMI) at Great Meadow, in The Plains, VA, will host the only North American leg of the FEI Nations Cup™ Eventing competition outside Europe.
GMI, one of two finalists to host the new CCI4* event in the autumn of 2019, is an ideal backdrop for spectators to see many of the U.S. and world’s top eventing horses and riders compete. A glance at some of the notable U.S. riders who have submitted entries include:
- Phillip Dutton – Six-time Olympic veteran with two Team gold medals (2000, 1996) for his native Australia, Team bronze (2004) and Individual Bronze (2016) for the U.S. A six-time WEG veteran and the 2008 Rolex Kentucky champion. Two-time Pan American Games Team gold medalist (2015, 2007) and Individual silver medalist (2007).
- Boyd Martin – Olympic veteran (2012, 2016) and two-time WEG competitor (2014, 2010). 2015 Pan American Games Team gold medalist.
- Buck Davidson – Two-time WEG veteran (2014, 2010), two-time U.S. Olympic Team Alternate (2012, 2008). Winner of the 2013 Rolex USEF Four Star Championship.
- Jan Byyny – Pan American Championship veteran with Team gold and individual bronze medals (2003), member of the U.S. Team at the FEI World Cup (2005) and Aachen World Equestrian Games (2006), and team alternate for the Olympic team (2004).
- Lynn Symansky – WEG veteran (2014), 2011 Pan American Games Team Gold medalist. Winner of the Bromont CIC3* (2014) and 2nd at Great Meadow International CIC3* (2015).
“Once again, we are honored to host for a second year in a row, the North American leg of the FEI Nations Cup™ Eventing competition,” said Teresa Condon, Director of Operations of the Great Meadow Foundation. “Our entry list is star-studded and the Great Meadow International promises to be a weekend filled with world-class competition and shopping.”
Traveling to GMI to compete in the FEI Nations Cup™ from Great Britain is Justine Dutton, Nicky Roncoroni, Matthew Heath, and Emily Llewellyn. Riding for Canada is Lisa Marie Fergusson, Selena O’Hanlon, Jessica Phoenix, and Waylon Roberts. Holly Jacks-Smither will be riding in reserve for Team Canada.
A full list of entries for GMI can be viewed online at here.
Spectators are encouraged to come out on Friday, July 7 for a “Free on Friday” celebration at the start of the dressage competition followed by a Bareback Puissance class. The Bareback Puissance class is a high-jumping bareback competition with a $1,000 grand prize.
Edited press release: Classic Communications