Wellington, Fla. – Feb. 13, 2020 – CSIO5* week at the 2020 Palm Beach Masters Series commenced on Wednesday, with the first big feature event of the week kicking off on Thursday in the Grass Arena with the $72,900 Suncast® Grand Prix Qualifier. Switzerland’s Beat Mändli topped the field of international athletes aboard Vic des Cerisiers with a double-clear performance to secure the win, besting Brian Moggre (USA) and Mario Deslauriers (CAN) by almost two seconds during the final tiebreaker.
Beat Mändli and Vic des Cerisiers
Forty athlete-and-horse combinations navigated Irish course designer Alan Wade’s welcoming 12-obstacle track around the expansive grass field, which saw 12 produce faultless efforts, while two jumped clear with just 1 time fault.
With three athletes electing not to return and save their mounts’ efforts for events later in the week, the jump-off was whittled down to just nine horse-and-athlete combinations. Emily Moffitt (GBR) was the pathfinder aboard Neil and Heidi Moffitt and Poden Farms’ Tipsy Du Terral, clearing the jump-off track in 40.64 seconds.
Emily Moffitt and Tipsy-du-Terral
Moggre was next in the ring riding Major Wager LLC’s MTM Vivre le Reve. He hastened the pace when he left each fence intact and broke the beam in 40.43 seconds. Switzerland’s master of speed, Mändli was not going to let the young athlete stand atop the leaderboard for long though. Riding Grant Road Partners GmbH’s Vic des Cerisiers, Mändli was hoof perfect and never touched a rail, stopping the times almost two seconds faster at 38.56 seconds to take over the lead.
Brian Moggre, MTM Vivre le Reve
Deslauriers was the only other athlete to challenge the leaders with Aram Ampagoumian LLC and his own Uris de la Roque. He was also clear over the course and crossed the finish line in 40.43 seconds for a tie with Moggre in the second place position. Mändli led the lap of honor while Moffitt took home the fourth place honors.
Mario Deslauriers and Uris de la Roque
Mändli (right) has been riding Vic des Cerisiers, an 11-year-old Selle Francais gelding, for four years, bringing him up very slowly. He appreciated having the opportunity to develop the horse the right away, and began showing him in secondary classes at major five star events in Europe over the summer before bringing him to Wellington for the winter.
Mändli plans to show the talented chestnut horse again on Friday as competition continues at Deeridge Farms with the highlight event, the $213,300 Longines Grand Prix of the Palm Beach Masters CSI5*, kicking off at 2 p.m. in the Grass Arena.
FROM THE WINNER’S CIRCLE
Beat Mändli – $72,900 Suncast® Grand Prix Qualifier winner
“He’s a freaky fast horse, he’s fast over the jumps so I just kept the pace, did neat turns and didn’t add any strides.”
On Vic des Cerisiers:
“I had him over the summer season in Europe. He’s become better every day and every horse show he showed more quality. I am really happy to have him. He’s a super nice horse, very high quality. I have very high hopes for him. He’s a very bloody horse, that makes it very easy in the ring, you don’t need to encourage him, it’s more to slow him down. He has a super attitude and ability to do it. Everything basically you want for a jumper. ”
On Thursday’s course:
“It was actually a really nice track, but it was tricky enough to ride. The triple combination was a bit tricky to the end. He made it quite easy for me today, but we have super conditions, super ground. The track was difficult enough I thought.”
$72,900 Suncast® Grand Prix Qualifier:
Place / Horse / Athlete / Country / Owner / R1 Faults / R2 Faults | Time
1. Vic des Cerisiers / Beat Mändli / SUI / Grant Road Partners GmbH / 0 / 0 | 38.56 sec
2. MTM Vivre le Reve / Brian Moggre / USA / Major Wager Llc / 0 / 0 | 40.43 sec
2. Uris de la Roque / Mario Deslauriers / CAN / Aram Ampagoumian LLC & Mario Deslauriers / 0 / 0 | 40.43 sec
4. Tipsy du Terral / Emily Moffitt / GBR / Neil & Heidi Moffitt, Poden Farms / 0 / 0 | 40.64 sec
5. Chameur / Georgina Bloomberg / USA / Purple Road, Llc / 0 / 0 | 41.56 sec
6. Chacendra / Miguel Angel Torres Hernandez / MEX / Miguel Angel Torres Hernandez / 0 / 0 | 42.23 sec
7. Coleraine des Bergeries / Amy Graham / AUS / Amy Graham & Philippe Jadot / 0 / 0 | 42.42 sec
8. Judge Hof ter Zeedycke / Erynn Ballard / CAN / Skymaster Llc / 0/ 4 | 38.71 sec
9. Boheme de Fleyres/ Ashlee Bond / ISR / Ashlee Bond, Little Valley Farms / 0 / 6 | 48.33 sec
10. Dinky Toy vd Kranenburg / Lorenzo De Luca / ITA / Stephex Stables & Scuderia / 0 / WD
10. Babalou / Darragh Kenny / IRL / Jack Snyder/ 0 / WD
10. Venue d’Fees des Hazalles / Eve Jobs / USA /Eve Jobs / 0 / WD