Mill Spring, NC – May 3, 2018 – The Tryon Spring I CSI 2* kicked off this week at Tryon International Equestrian Center (TIEC) with an FEI victory for Mexico’s Santiago Lambre and Doloris, continuing a competitive first week of international jumping at the venue. Lambre started the week with a blue ribbon in Wednesday’s FEI $6,000 Power & Speed 1.40m CSI 2* aboard D’Artagnan, and came out strong once again in today’s $35,000 1.45m Welcome Stake CSI 2* to secure top honors.
Lambre and his Dutch Warmblood mare (Harley VDL x Colinda D), who turns eleven tomorrow, blasted through the Richard Jeffery (GBR) designed track with a quick round, stopping the clock in 38.11 seconds and besting the class of 64 original horse-and-rider combinations.
Lambre has had the ride on the mare since she was a six-year old and began competing her about a year and a half ago. With both consistent and impressive performances, the pair have continued their success this season, having notched five top five CSI finishes last fall at the venue, while tossing two champion placings into the mix as well.
A total of 13 entries contested the jump-off, while Lambre rode three different horses in the class. At the conclusion, it was Doloris who ultimately returned to prove her place at the top of the class. The final ride of the day went to Carlos Ramirez (COL) aboard his own 2007 Belgian Warmblood stallion Happy Wandor Van’t Roosakker (Wandor van de Mispelaere x V Cento).
The duo nearly took the lead, finishing just tenths of a second behind Lambre to receive second place honors with a jump-off time of 38.76 seconds. Third placed was captured by Ireland’s Richie Maloney, who piloted Equinimity LLC’s Belgian Warmblood gelding Merqusio (Cicero Z x Flamenco de Semilly) to a jump-off time of 39.04 seconds.
Competition at TIEC continues tomorrow with the $5,000 1.40m Open Jumper Stake in Tryon Stadium, beginning at 8:00 a.m. The week also features the highlight $70,000 Tryon Resort Grand Prix CSI 2* beginning at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 5.
The Tryon Spring Series will continue through Sunday, June 10, featuring six weeks of international and national hunter, jumper, and equitation competition.
$35,000 1.45m Welcome Stake CSI 2*
Place / Horse / Rider / R1 Faults | Time / R2 Faults | Time
1. Doloris / Santiago Lambre / 0 | 71.61 / 0 | 38.119
2. Happy Wandor Van T Roosakker / Carlos Ramirez / 0 | 72.45 / 0 | 38.76
3. Merqusio / Richie Moloney / 0 | 72.12 / 0 | 39.04
4. Catungee / Catherine Tyree / 0 | 72.39 / N/A
5. Kec City Limits / Willie Tynan / 0 | 72.63 / N/A
6. Darosso Vdl / Jad Dana / N/A / N/A
7. Donna Speciale / Leslie Burr-Howard / 0 | 69.85 / 4 | 37.43
8. Quick Du Pottier / Samuel Parot / 0 | 71.3 / N/A
9. Liroy 30 / Taylor Land / N/A / N/A
10. Bull Run’s Prince Of Peace / Kristen Vanderveen / N/A / N/A
11. Dutch Lady / Samuel Parot / 0 | 71.97 / EL
11. Armagedon / Jimmy Torano / N/A / EL
For full results, click here.