Saugerties, NY – September 9, 2017 – HITS Championship Week opened with many high-caliber International and domestic riders on the show grounds in Saugerties to compete at HITS-on-the-Hudson VIII for the richest week in American Show Jumping.
$34,600 Saugerties Jumper Classic
The first day of the FEI CSI-5* at HITS-on-the-Hudson VIII began with Wednesday’s $34,600 Saugerties Jumper Classic. Thirty-six competitors contended for the win over the course designed by Martin Otto of Germany.
Mexico’s Santiago Lambre took home top honors atop his own Casino N. Second-place went to Argentina’s Luis Pedro Biraben (ARG) and Gugler Sport Horses Colorado 210, and American Laura Chapot claimed third-place with Thornhill Kate who she owns in partnership with her mother Mary Chapot.
An impressive field of eleven horses and riders jumped fault-free to advance to the jump-off. The course rode quickly and all exhibitors produced speedy rounds to vie for the blue-ribbon. Of the eight who negotiated the shortened course without fault, Lambre’s track proved best, Lambre stopped the timers in 41.12 seconds, four-tenths of a second ahead of Biraben who crossed the finish line in 41.56 seconds. Chapot’s final time of 41.89 seconds earned third place. The top three riders were the only three to complete the jump-off course in under 42-seconds.
Lambre said that where he felt that he won the class on the tight and speedy turn Casino N made in rolling back to the vertical. Lambre has been partnered with Casino N since April. “I’m really happy with his [Casino N] performance,” he said. “He is my wife’s horse, and my wife is pregnant, so I took over the ride. But you know, I will have to give him back!”
$34,600 Saugerties Jumper Classic FEI CSI-5*
Place / Horse / Rider / Country / Owner / R1 / TA:82 / JO / TA:61
1. Casino N Santiago Lambre / MEX / Santiago Lambre / 0 / 80.92 / 0 / 41.12
2. Colorado 210 / Luis Pedro Biraben / ARG / Gugler Sport Horses / 0 / 80.41 / 0 / 41.56
3. Thornhill Kate / Laura Chapot / USA / Mary & Laura Chapot / 0 / 79.05 / 0 / 41.89
4. Iliona / David Raposa / USA / David Raposa / 0 / 76.90 / 0 / 42.23
5. Reus de la Nutria / Emanuel Andrade / VEN / Emanuel Andrade / 0 / 79.76 / 0 / 42.42
6. Glasgow de Muze / Alberto Michan / MEX / Ilan Ferder / 0 / 80.85 / 0 / 42.75
$34,600 HITS Jumper Classic
FEI competition continued on Friday with the $34,600 HITS Jumper Classic, the second FEI class of the week, and a mandatory class to qualify for the Saugerties $1 Million Grand Prix. Course Designer Martin Otto of Muenster, Germany, raised the bar and tightened the time, allowing to prepare horses for the Saugerties $1 Million Grand Prix On Sunday.
The first round consisted of 16 jumping efforts over 13 obstacles including Triple and Double Combinations, 1.50-meter course in HITS Grand Prix Stadium. Of the sixty-six entries, twelve jumped fault-free to advance into the seven effort jump-off. Three of the twelve elected not to return, so a field of nine faced the shortened course.
Amanda Derbyshire, second to return, produced the first clean jump-off round and took over the lead with a time of 43.08 seconds. The lead changed hands when Juan Manuel Luzardo, (URU) next in the order of go, jumped clean and stopped the clock in a lightning fast 36.49 seconds to move into first place. For those who followed, rails quelled their hope of a win. Only Laura Chapot managed to master another fault-free performance. She and her longtime partner Thornhill Kate earned second place when they crossed the timers in 36.60 seconds.
On Sunday, September 10, the top 50 qualifiers will compete in the Saugerties $1 Million Grand Prix.
$34,600 HITS Jumper Classic FEI CSI-5*
Place / Horse / Rider / Country / Owner / R1 / TA:84 / JO / TA:55
1. Puertas SO What / Juan Manuel Luzardo / URU / Edith Stephan / 0 / 80.60 / 0 / 36.49
2. Thornhill Kate / Laura Chapot / USA / Mary & Laura Chapot / 0 / 81.45 / 0 / 36.89
3. Luibanta BH / Amanda Derbyshire / GBR / Gochman Sport Horse LLC / 0 / 82.38 / 0 / 43.08
4. Thalys Z / Erynn Ballard / CAN / The Thalys Group / 0 / 79.30 / 4 / 34.90
5. MTM Reve Du Paradis / Tracy Fenney / USA / MTM Farm / 0 / 82.53 / 4 / 35.57
6. Navalo de Poheton / Andrew Kocher / USA / MKO Equestrian / 0 / 81.97 / 4 / 36.34