La Cañada Flintridge, Calif. – Sept. 29, 2018 – On Saturday night, 20 horses and riders entered the grand prix ring at the Flintridge Autumn Classic, held at the Flintridge Riding Club, in hopes of winning their share of the $30,000 prize money offered at the Flintridge Grand Prix honoring Karen V. Price. Each pair tried their luck on the first round course, designed by Mike Gallaway and consisting of 15 jumping efforts including three double combinations.
Only four entries made it around the first round course clear and advanced to the 7-effort jump off, including two ridden by Ashlee Bond. Bond gave great rides to both horses and earned the blue ribbon on Ace of Hearts owned by Little Valley Farms, and the red ribbon on Ereina, a 9-year-old bay Dutch Warmblood mare owned by Poden Farm.
“He’s a really a special horse,” said Bond of Ace of Hearts, an 11-year-old bay Holsteiner gelding. “I don’t even have to think about going fast. He’s such a fighter and he’s got such a personality. We call him the little devil in the barn…but when it comes to his job he just fights to go clear.” The gelding was bred by Richard Spooner, and Bond has had him since he was five years old.
Finishing in third place was Chandler Meadows aboard Damian, a 10-year-old chestnut KWPN gelding, and in fourth was Kristin Hardin and Aran, a 13 year-old Dutch Warmblood mare owned by Pamela Levin.
$30,000 Flintridge Grand Prix
Place / Horse / Rider / R1 Faults | Time / R2 Faults | Time
1. Ace of Hearts / Ashlee Bond / 0 | 68.546 / 0 | 27.934
2. Ereina / Ashlee Bond / 0 | 69.387 / 0 | 28.584
3. Damian / Chandler Meadows / 0 | 72.462 / 0 | 30.500
4. Aran / Kristin Hardin / 0 | 75.031 / 0 | 31.576
5. Charly / Joie Gatlin / 4 | 74.146
6. Bert / Kristin Hardin / 4 | 74.153
7. Baraka / Gabrielle Applegate / 4 | 77.442
8. Rammstein / Amelie Bittar / 8 | 72.644
9. Chappius 14 / Shelly Stull / 8 | 75.312
10. Ce Ce Senior / Simon McCarthy / 8 | 75.546
11. Deluxento / Craig Starr / 8 | 75.716
12. Gavanta / Mark Watring / 8 | 76.656
Leila Ward-Maroney and LVM Sonador Take the Blue at the $5,000 USHJA National Hunter Derby at Flintridge Autumn Classic
On Friday evening, the hunters took over the grand prix arena for the $5,000 USHJA National Hunter Derby. Thirty-six entries completed the classic hunter round, then the top 12 returned for a handy round. Leila Ward-Maroney and LWM Sonador earned the judges’ highest marks, the champion ribbon, and the Marcia “Mousie” Williams Perpetual Trophy. LWM Sonador is a 10-year-old bay Hanoverian mare owned by Leila Ward-Maroney.
Czechers earned the reserve champion title. The 8-year-old Czech Warmblood gelding was ridden by Shauna Pennell and is owned by Leslie Sharf. In third place was Lumiere, a 9-year-old grey Holsteiner gelding ridden by Ariel Black and owned by Andie Lou Hayden.
$5,000 USHJA National Hunter Derby
Place / Horse / Rider / Total Score
1. LWM Sonador / Leila Ward-Maroney / 181
2. Czechers / Shauna Pennell / 180
3. Lumiere / Ariel Black / 175
4. SIG Chester / Michelle Morris / 172
5. Coraggio / Emma Lindstrom / 171
6. Saturday Night / Beverly Engleberg / 168
7. Farolito / Leila Ward-Maroney / 167
8. Elusive / Renee Rodda / 160.5
9. Unique de la Chesnee / Sienna Gustafson / 158
10. Spot On / Chad Mahaffey / 155
11. Journey / Mark Watring / 152
12. Skywalker / Brooke Mostman / 135